Follow us on Twitter @Champion_Rounds

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

UFC 134 Recap


UFC 134 Recap
So the night that UFC returns to its roots has concluded and it was an awesome night. Finally we did pretty good on our picks and Stephen DeRose’s debut went well also. So, before I get into the main card I want to talk about the hectic first prelim on Spike TV. It seems that whenever someone throws the Steven Segal front kick and lands, it almost always rocks or knocks out their opponent. Palhares threw the front kick halfway through the first round, landed perfectly and dropped Dan Miller. Then, with less then a minute left, Palhares drops Miller again, tees off on him and then just walked away without having Herb Dean intervene. Palhares celebrates before Dean brings him back and when they continue, Dan Miller instantly floors Palhares and nearly wins the fight. Even though Palhares ends up winning the fight by unanimous decision, Miller showed unbelievable heart in even going the distance.

Even though I called the first main card bout, I still didn’t expect Cane do so well. Cane was landing a ton of straight punches, bloodying Nedkov’s nose. Nedkov was throwing tons and tons of haymakers with very few of them even coming close to landing, but once he landed one, Nedkov rocked Cane and finished him off with a lot of brutal punches to finally have Yamasaki wave it off. Nedkov looked sloppy, but he did prove a point of not to mess with his power.

Ross Pearson looked really good against the prospect, Edson Barboza. I thought Barboza was going to easily run through Pearson to a unanimous decision but Pearson pressed through Barboza’s lightning fast spinning back kicks to the body. The fight could have gone either way in the end but Barboza rose as the victor by split decision. Be fore this event, I thought that Guillard was the fastest striker in the lightweight division but Barboza literally showed the fastest kicks I have ever seen. Barboza showed in this fight that he stills needs improvement, but one day, he will be a title contender.

If there was one fight that I would be okay with getting wrong, it would have been “Big Nog” vs. Brendan Schuab. I thought coming into this fight that Schuab was going to KO Nog early in the fight, adding another legend to his victim list. To my pleasant surprise, Nog won, and not only did he finish him, but he KO’d him, and not only did he KO him, but he KO’d him in the first round! I was so happy, I really hate watching Nog lose so that was really nice not only for me but for Brazil.

This was no surprise, Shogun dominated Forrest in a first round TKO in brutal fashion. I also don’t like to watch Forrest lose, he’s a really nice guy and has done more than you can imagine for this sport but Shogun is just simply a better fighter than him.

Now, I said that I would never regret calling Yushin to beat Anderson (and I still don’t) but that fight was just simply embarrassing for Okami. Everything that Anderson threw that landed, dropped or rocked Okami. Okami literally had no chance of beating Anderson. That was one of the more motivated Anderson’s I have seen in a long time, he really wanted to avenge his DQ loss to Yushin. After this fight, it is almost impossible to disagree that Silva isn’t the best fighter P4P, ever, and in combat sports history. You can never count him out

No comments:

Post a Comment