Follow us on Twitter @Champion_Rounds

Monday, June 25, 2012

CR Exclusive Interview with Steven Siler!

                                Siler celebrating his win over Joey Gambino (Joe Camporeale-US PRESSWIRE)
 


Steven Siler just won a huge fight against the highly touted prospect Joey Gambino, on UFC on FX 4, by absolutely destroying him and finishing him with a guillotine choke within 3 minutes. Siler is now 3-0 in the UFC and has huge wins over both Micah and Cole Miller. He is an exciting prospect himself and is only 25 years old with endless potential. He was kind enough to take time with us and do an interview. (CR in bold)

1) A lot of people were hyping Joey Gambino coming into that fight. How happy are you with your performance after you completely destroyed him?
I’m very happy with my performance. I really wanted a finish this fight and I got one against a very tough up and comer.

2) What was going through your head when you went for the guillotine on Gambino? 
I just kept thinking "wow I have this deep but it’s very slippery maybe I should let go" but I luckily stuck with it and finished the fight.

3) Where do you rank yourself among the UFC featherweights?
I’m not really sure where I would rank myself right now. I’m still very new with only 3 UFC fights, but I’m happy to keep climbing up the rankings until I get to the top.
4) You were the underdog going into your fight with both Micah and Cole Miller and destroyed them both.  How does the underdog status affect you?
I’m used to it; even in the local fights I feel when people came and watched me fight they were just assuming I would lose the next fight just because I don't look tough. And I’m happy with people thinking that way because then maybe I’ll continue to be taken lightly.

5) How long have you been training in MMA?
I have been fighting for a little over 7 years now and have been training a little over 5 years.

6) What was your first martial art?
When I started training I went to a BJJ school. So, I guess I’d call that my background.

7) You mentioned that The Pit is making a comeback. Is there any particular fighter that we should pay attention to? 
The Pit has a solid group of guys up and coming. We already have me, Brock (Jardine), Ramsey (Nijem) and Court (McGee) in the UFC. Plus, Josh Burkman is on his way back hopefully. We also got Rad Martinez over in Bellator and a bunch of young guys learning everyday with great coaches with Jason Mertlich and John Hackleman.

8) If you absolutely had to choose a fighter for your next match, who would it have to be?
Whoever the UFC tells me is next they are the boss. But I’m gonna take some time away and get married and go on my honeymoon before I worry about something like that.

Great interview with a great fighter. We cannot wait for his next fight.
Enjoy your wedding and honeymoon! You have big fans here at CR!

No comments:

Post a Comment