Follow us on Twitter @Champion_Rounds

Friday, August 17, 2012

CR Exclusive Interview with Erik Perez

Photo via MMAJunkie.com

The 22-year-old Jackson’s MMA fighter, Erik “El Goyito Perez”, just turned himself from prospect to contender. At UFC 150, Perez posted the fastest KO at 135 in either the WEC or the UFC with a 17 second knockout over Ken Stone.

Surprisingly, Perez was a small underdog heading into this fight, but an underdog nonetheless. “I’ve been the underdog before, [the underdog status] didn’t affect me”, Perez said, “I was already motivated [heading into the fight]”.

Although he looked very motivated for the quick finish, he didn’t expect it, “Yes, I wasn’t expecting [the quick finish]’, said Perez, “I just want to fight great and have a war if I have to. I’m always prepared for 3 rounds”.

Perez talks about his life since his two quick finishes under the UFC banner, “It hasn’t changed too much, but the experience has been great. I’m not sure [what I’m going to accomplish by the time I’m 30], I’m living the life right now and living the dream”.

Now that he boasts a 2-0 record in the UFC by two 1st round finishes, Erik Perez is taking it easy and letting the UFC decide his next fight, “Everyone is good at 135 so whomever the UFC says is fine with me. I’m fine fighting with whoever.”

Before the interview was over, Erik Perez explained how he got his nickname: “El Goyito”, “Gregorio is my middle name and ‘Goyo’ is short for Gregorio. When I started fighting professionally I was very young, only 16-years-old, so everyone started calling me “Goyito” for little Gregorio. “

Thanks again to Erik Perez and make sure you guys go follow him on Twitter @Goyito_Perez. Keep him on that list of future title contenders.

No comments:

Post a Comment