Follow us on Twitter @Champion_Rounds

Monday, July 16, 2012

CR Exclusive Interview with Tarec Saffiedine


Photo by MMAJunkie.com

Tarec Saffiedine is a very well rounded welterweight fighting out of Team Quest and a top guy in Strikeforce. He was originally a Muay Thai kickboxer before making his move over to MMA in 2007. He is fighting Roger Bowling on August 18 at the Rousey vs. Kaufman card. With the Strikeforce executives scrambling for title challengers at welterweight, a win over Roger Bowling could certainly send Tarec right into that position.

He was very gracious in agreeing to do an interview with us before his fight.

Championship Rounds: So your next opponent is the up and coming Roger Bowling on August 18. Talk about that fight. How has camp been going?

Tarec Saffiedine: It’s a big fight for me because I believe a win should put me really close to a title fight. He is explosive but I believe I am more technical and this should make the difference.

Camp is going well, we have eight weeks so it’s perfect to plan the camp and I have great boxers and wrestlers that are here to help me out along with my usual partners at Team Quest. I train with my coaches Daniel Woirin for the Muay Thai, Ricardo Feliciano for BJJ, Bryan Harper for MMA and Brian Richardson for conditioning. I have a great team behind me.

CR: How do you envision the fight going?

TS: He always starts strong in the first round so I have to break his explosiveness, and then use my technique to frustrate him and win the fight.

CR: You have been a striker for a very long time yet most of your wins have been by submission. How long have you been training in BJJ?

TS: When I first started training, I started with taekwondo, and then I turned to Shihaishinkai Karate which is a Karate that incorporates Judo throws and a little bit of BJJ as well. So I basically started BJJ when I started training my stand up, but the level in Europe at that time was far from the level we have here in the USA. That’s what I realized when I came here [the US] for the first time and got taken down at will. I realized what I learned in Europe was far from enough from the level here, especially with the wrestling part.

CR: What is it like training at such a highly touted camp such as Team Quest?

TS: You know, since I moved to the USA to train with Team Quest, I traveled to other camps and trained at other gyms but I don’t see myself training somewhere else. It’s kind of my roots and we have some of the best coaches. The wrestling base is great and having Dan Henderson as a training partner, you can’t ask for anything better. I learn everyday from everyone and everyone helps each other out. The team is still growing and we have new guys coming to train with us and bring their knowledge as well so it’s great.

CR: How different is it going from fighting professionally in kickboxing to fighting professionally in MMA?

TS: It’s a lot different I believe. When you are an active pro competitor in Muay Thai, you fight every two weeks, get injured and don’t get paid as much as you do in MMA. So you have to fight more to be able to make a living and only a few fighters are able to make names out there because it’s a lot less streaming worldwide, that’s why everybody is going to MMA, more exposure and quicker money making. You have unbelievable Muay Thai fighters with more than 100 fights that have to fight for $1000 because they don’t have as much respect as a MMA fighter. The Muay Thai life is way harder I believe than MMA. 

CR: Where did you get your nickname, "Sponge"?

TS: From my former coach in Belgium. He said that I am like a Sponge because every time, he taught me a technique I was able to replicate (absorb) it right away. So I stuck with it.

CR: Thank you again! We will be cheering for you during your fight!

TS: Thank you very much

Thanks to Tarec for the interview. Go follow him on Twitter @tarecfighter and support him in his fight on August 18!

No comments:

Post a Comment