Follow us on Twitter @Champion_Rounds

Monday, August 6, 2012

CR Exclusive Interview with Jared Hamman

Photo by MMAJunkie.com

Jared Hamman may be one of the toughest, and most underrated, fighters on the entire UFC roster. He is known for being able to take a punch and spring right back. Jared Hamman also has wins over both CB Dollaway and Travis Wiuff.

Although he’s coming off a hard fought loss to rising star, Costa Philippou, he looks to rebound from that loss with a win over Michael Kuiper at UFC 150. He took time from training to do an interview with us on his upcoming fight.

Championship Rounds: Michael Kuiper is a tough opponent with very good judo. How do you envision the fight going?

Jared Hamman: Michael is definitely a tough opponent and I see this as being a great fight for the fans. You can tell we both like to fight and both like to bring it. I think my experience is going to play a part, and I feel like I can capitalize on his weaknesses. 

CR: What do you believe are his weaknesses?

JH: Hopefully I'll show you next Saturday!

CR: You looked great in your fight with CB Dollaway. Talk about the fight. What was your game plan going in?

JH: My game plan was to keep distant, which obviously didn’t work to well, C.B. closed it up and took me down and got me pretty good in that first round. My conditioning however is something that I work very hard on and I believe that made a big difference in that fight. I train to fight as hard as I can for all three rounds, a full fifteen minutes, and I think I felt that against Dolloway.

CR: What do you ultimately want to accomplish in the sport of MMA?

JH: My goal has always been to take each fight as they come and go as hard as I can for as long as I can. I would like to be ranked in the top five, that would be great, but my main concern is attacking each fight like its my last, and giving it all I got. I have always reiterated "you’re never guaranteed your next heartbeat" and you never know when your last fight will be, God may have other plans in store. I want to walk away from this sport knowing I gave it everything I got, to be the best that I could be, with all glory to Jesus.  I would walk away happy with that.

CR: Which of your accomplishments means the most and why?

JH: I think when I won the IFC cruiserweight belt in the IFC tournament. I beat a really tough BJJ guy named Rogent Lorrett, an Abu Dhabi qualifier, in the first fight and then TKO'd a UFC vet, Travis Wiuff in the second. Cruiserweight was 230 lbs, and I was barely 220 I think, with my clothes on. It was a great night, and such an awesome time with my team.

CR: What was your original martial art when you gained a liking of MMA?

JH: Does getting beat up by your older brother while watching "American Ninja" count?

CR: You are a very spiritual person. How do you believe this affects your MMA career?

JH: I am a follower of Christ. This affects my whole life let alone my MMA career. God has blessed me with skills in this sport, with this platform in the UFC, for His glory and purposes.  I have been able to use my position to help mentor younger athletes and younger adults in general, whether it be speaking opportunities or direct coaching. It's been a blast to help others through this sport and to show people, not just tell, who Christ is. To Him be the glory!

CR: Where did you get your nickname, "The Messenger"?

JH: I got that nickname from Vladimir Matyushenko, my good friend and UFC light heavyweight.  We have had many a great conversations about God, Jesus, religion, and stuff of that nature. He gave me the nickname after one of our many conversations.

Great interview with a great fighter! Thanks again to Jared Hamman and make sure you follow him on Twitter @JaredHammanMMA and support him in his fight with Michael Kuiper!


No comments:

Post a Comment