Follow us on Twitter @Champion_Rounds

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

UFC on FX 5: Browne vs. Silva Predictions



Uhh... where is Dodson vs Formiga?
Sam's Picks
Main Card

Travis Browne vs. Antonio Silva: I completely disagree with Dave on this fight. Some people are saying that Browne is riding some massive hype train, but that simply isn't the case. I feel that there isn't a hype train behind Travis; I feel that he is now a true title contender. Dave said that Browne wasn't able to handle the size of Kongo, but from what I remember, people thought that draw was a BS decision and that Browne should have won. That was early in his career anyway. He has been on an absolute roll as of late. Silva, on the over hand, has been massacred in his last two fights against two top-5 opponents in Daniel Cormier and Cain Velazquez. Although Travis Browne isn't on the same levels as those two guys, I have a feeling that he will one day become a top-5 heavyweight. Silva's isn't chin isn’t all that great and Browne has a lot of power. Travis will land a big shot and drop him early = Browne via 1st round KO. My pick for KOOTN!

Jake Ellenberger vs. Jay Hieron: It's great to see Hieron back in the UFC. Since his release from the UFC, he has done great, he even arguably defeated top-10 welterweight Ben Askren. But Ellenberger is on another level to that of Hieron's latest competition. Ellenberger has the striking power and strength advantage while Hieron has a minor grappling advantage. Ellenberger should win this but I have this weird feeling that Hieron is going to submit him = Ellenberger via unanimous decision.

John Dodson vs. Jussier Formiga: Finally, the debut of Formiga. I have been waiting for this for a long time and they didn't give him an easy fight. John Dodson is possibly the fastest fighter in the UFC not named Demetrious Johnson and he also holds a crazy amount of power for a guy that only stands at 5 feet 3 inches. This fight is the typical striker vs. grappler matchup that almost never disappoints, and it's a very hard one to predict. Dodson didn’t look all that great in his last outing while Formiga is riding a three fight win streak with wins over both Michael William Costa and Mamoru Yamaguchi. Both these guys will inevitably challenge for the 125-pound title but Dodson is in his prime right now. I see him dominating the first two rounds, but Formiga winning the third = Dodson via unanimous decision. My 1st pick for FOTN!

Josh Neer vs. Justin Edwards: Yeah, this fight is on the main card. The only plausible reason this is, is because they are both very scrappy fighters. Edwards, though, is nowhere near the level of Neer. Even though Neer is coming off of a first round KO loss that was to a very underrated welterweight in Mike Pyle. Neer should dominate this fight everywhere it goes = Neer via 3rd round submission. My pick for SOTN!

Prelims

Yves Edwards vs. Jeremy Stephens = Stephens via 3rd round KO. My 2nd pick for FOTN!
Michael Johnson vs. Danny Castillo = Johnson via split decision.
Dennis Hallman vs. Thiago Tavares = Tavares via unanimous decision.
Shane Roller vs. Jacob Volkmann = Volkmann via split decision.
Diego Nunes vs. Bart Palaszewski = Nunes via split decision. My 3rd pick for FOTN!
Darren Uyenoyama vs. Phil Harris = Uyenoyama via unanimous decision.
Marcus LeVasseur vs. Carlo Prater = LeVasseur via unanimous decision.
Mike Pierce vs. Aaron Simpson = Pierce via split decision.

Dave’s Picks
Main Card

Travis Browne vs. Antonio Silva: This fight should be interesting. We could see a crazy slobber knocker or a boring “stare affair” (I’m going to trademark that). Silva will be Browne’s toughest test. Silva has not been doing well, being brutally KO’d in his last two fights, but that was against much better opponents than Travis Browne. This fight will truly show us where Browne stands in the division. This fight is very tough for me because Silva has looked so bad and Browne has looked so good. But the determining factor for me is this: Browne has only beaten one big heavyweight in the last 2 years (Stefan Struve) and couldn’t handle Cheick Kongo’s size and strength. Silva is a massive human being with great grappling skills. I think Silva will out grapple Browne in a boring fight. = Silva by unanimous decision.

Jake Ellenberger vs. Jay Hieron: This is a strange fight to me. Jake is coming off of a big loss but that came at the end of a 6 fight rampage through the welterweight division. Hieron hasn’t fought in the UFC since losing to Jonathan Goulet in 2005. But Hieron has been on a tear but not against world-class opponents. I think Ellenberger will be faster, stronger and have better striking. Hieron might have the better wrestling but I think Ellenberger will take this fight handedly. = Ellenberger by unanimous decision.

John Dodson vs. Jussier Formiga: This fight will be nuts. Dodson is one of the most entertaining fighters alive and Formiga has never disappointed either. I cannot wait for this one. The winner of this will be the first challenger to Demetrious Johnson’s brand new Flyweight belt. I am not sure if either of these guys can handle “Mighty Mouse” but we will find out soon enough. Dodson has beaten the tougher competition over the years but in order to win, he has to have better cardio then he showed in the Tim Elliot fight. Should be an interesting fight but I am going with the guy who is already 2-0 in the UFC = Dodson by unanimous decision. My Pick for Fight of the Night!

Josh Neer vs. Justin Edwards: Not sure why this is on the main card above the laast three prelim fights but whatever. This fight should be all Josh Neer. Neer got put out cold in his last fight but that was against a high level talent in Mike Pyle. Justin Edwards is nowhere near Pyle’s level. Edwards is not UFC quality and will get destroyed. = Neer by submission in round 1. My Pick for Submission of the Night!

Prelims

Yves Edwards vs. Jeremy Stephens: Stephens by TKO in round 2. My Pick for KO of the Night!
Danny Castillo vs. Michael Johnson: Castillo by split decision.
Dennis Hallman vs. Thiago Tavares: Tavares by unanimous decision.
Shane Roller vs. Jacob Volkmann: Volkmann by unanimous decision.
Diego Nunes vs. Bart Palaszewski: Nunes by split decision.
Phil Harris vs. Darren Uyenoyama: Darren by unanimous decision.
Marcus LeVesseur vs. Carlo Prater: Prater by submission in round 2.
Mike Pierce vs. Aaron Simpson: Pierce by split decision.

2 comments:

  1. I think you’re right on the money with Browne knocking out Silva. I mean, come on, how could he even miss that giant head? LOL This looks like it’s going to be a good card to have for my first UFC party in my new house. I upgraded almost everything when I moved too: new HD TVs, a new couch, and my employer, DISH, hooked me up with the Hopper and the HD Free for Life promotion. It’s the first time I’ve had high definition and while I’ve seen HD sets in stores, its better to be able to watch it on a big plasma in my living room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks for the comment. And yes, UFC events in HD are amazing. We have parties everytime there is a UFC PPV.

      Delete