Follow us on Twitter @Champion_Rounds

Saturday, October 29, 2011

UFC 137 Predictions


UFC 137: Penn vs. Diaz Predictions

Sam’s Picks

Main Card
B.J. Penn vs. Nick Diaz: This is a hard fight to pick for me, I don’t really have all that good of an idea of who is going to win. Personally, I really don’t like Nick Diaz; he’s a cocky punk with no respect for, it seems everyone. I’m starting to gain more respect for B.J. though, he seems to be becoming a better person since he started training with Matt Hughes. If B.J. wins this, I don’t think that he deserves a title shot, but Diaz will get a title shot if he wins. I think that Diaz and GSP will be fighting very soon = Diaz by unanimous decision.

Cheick Kongo vs. Matt Mitrione: I love these guys which is what makes this fight awesome. Mitrione says he wants to be heavyweight Dominick Cruz and if there was a Dominick Cruz for the heavyweight division, he would be that person. For such a large person, he is extremely fast, quick on his feet, and light on his toes. Rarely do you see a huge heavyweight fight with that “in-and-out” style. Now, Kongo was in one of the best fights in the history of MMA, being knocked down three times in 60 seconds, seeming to be totally unconscious, and comes back to knock the guy out 30 seconds later. All in the first round. Crazy! This is Mitrione’s first real big test and especially against someone with good stand up, but I see Mitrione fighting for the title soon = Mitrione by 2nd round TKO.

Mirko “Cro Cop” vs. Roy Nelson: Just so everybody knows, Cro Cop is my favorite fighter. Always has been, and most likely always will be. I like Roy Nelson too but I will still be very upset when he KO’s Cro Cop on Saturday. Cro Cop needs to retire = Nelson by KO round 2. My Pick for KO of the Night!

Hatsu Hioki vs. George Roop: Hatsu Hioki is a very dangerous guy who I am very, very happy to see in the UFC. Hioki is a very bad fight for Roop. He doesn’t stand a chance against Hioki. I think they made this match up to try and save Japanese MMA = Hioki by 3rd round submission (choke). My Pick for Submission of the Night!

Jeff Curran vs. Scott Jorgenson: Finally Jorgenson gets the respect he deserves, the main card. The main card had to drop three fights for him to get here but it happened and here we are. Curran is a bit of a journeyman and Jorgenson is an animal with viscous KO power. This is a good fight, but Curran won’t be able to handle the power of Scotty Jorgenson = Jorgenson by 3rd round TKO. My pick for Fight of the Night!


Prelims
Donald Cerrone vs. Dennis Siver = Cerrone by 2nd round submission (choke).
Tyson Griffin vs. Bart Palaszewski = Griffin by unanimous decision.
Eliot Marshall vs. Brandon Vera = Vera by 1st round TKO.
Danny Downes vs. Ramsey Nijem = Downes by unanimous decision.
Chris Camozzi vs. Francis Carmont = Carmont by split decision.
Dustin Jacoby vs. Clifford Starks = Jacoby by 2nd round TKO.

Dave’s Picks
Main Card

Nick Diaz vs. BJ Penn: I really don’t see how Diaz will win this fight. Now, this is coming from a guy who absolutely cannot stand Penn. But Penn has better wrestling, BJJ and more powerful striking. Diaz has the reach advantage and if he wants to win at all he will have to use it very well. = BJ Penn by unanimous decision.

Cheick Kongo vs. Matt Mitrione: This fight is a hard one for me because Kongo has so much more experience against way better fighters. It’s a rough call. Mitrione is faster, stronger and more athletic but Kongo has very technical striking and a decent chin. This one is a tossup = Mitrione by split decision.

Mirko Cro Cop vs. Roy Nelson: Cro Cop needs to retire now! I have seen recent pictures of Nelson and unless they were taken at a weird angle he looks to be in good shape. If Roy Nelson is faster and leaner with better cardio then Cro Cop is even in more trouble than before = Nelson by TKO in round 2. My pick for KO of the Night!

Hatsu Hioki vs. George Roop: I am so excited that Hioki is finally making his way to the UFC. Hioki will be one of the few Japanese crossovers that will be very successful. Roop has decent striking but I see Hioki picking him apart and then finishing him off late in the match = Hioki by submission in round 2. My pick for Submission of the Night!

Jeff Curran vs. Scott Jorgensen: So happy this main card has two lower weight-class fights! I know it took a bunch of injuries but finally they will be featured on a main card. I have been disappointed in the low amount of promotion for the little guys, very disappointed. But anyway, Jeff Curran has been up and down his whole career but he is very talented. Jorgensen is one of my favorite fighters due to his intensity and skill set. I see this going Jorgensen’s way due to his power and wrestling ability = Jorgensen by unanimous decision.

Prelims
Donald Cerrone vs. Dennis Siver: Cerrone by split decision.
Tyson Griffin vs. Bart Palaszewski: Griffin by unanimous decision. My Pick for Fight of the Night!
Eliot Marshall vs. Brandon Vera: Vera by unanimous decision.
Danny Downes vs. Ramsey Nijem: Nijem but unanimous decision.
Chris Camozzi vs. Francis Carmont: Camozzi by unanimous decision.
Dustin Jacoby vs. Clifford Starks: Jacoby by KO in round 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment