Follow us on Twitter @Champion_Rounds

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

UFC on FOX Recap


So, I know that its a few days late but I’m going to do a little recap here. First off I have been watching UFC since the time Sam (my brother and the other writer of this blog) was born! I have loved watching it mature into the most amazing form of martial art combat ever. I have waited for the day it would make it onto a public broadcasting station for a long time. I am a “member” of the hardcore MMA followers and many of them said things like “we don’t need this” and “this is ‘our’ sport”. Oh please. If you truly loved this sport then you would want everyone else in the world to be able to see it and love it as well.

I thought the broadcast was amazingly well done and hearing the classic FOX sports theme music on top of a UFC broadcast blew my mind! It was amazing. Having a heavyweight title fight was the best choice because people have a natural proclivity towards heavyweight fights even if they don’t watch boxing or MMA frequently. Maybe its Hollywood’s doing with movies like Rocky or boxing’s past with greats like Ali, Frazier and Foreman. But people love heavyweight bouts and title bouts.

So, I thought that Velasquez vs. Dos Santos was the perfect match. They both having exciting standup with power and Cain has great wrestling with big slams; which are all great for a highlight matchup. The fight itself was how I called it in my prediction and I was not surprised that JDS won by KO. It was exciting and the broadcast made it even more exciting by giving a great background story about Cain and JDS’ lives.

My only problem was the fact that they missed out on having the Guida vs. Henderson fight airing on FOX. It was a Fight of the Year candidate and could have been a major resource in recruiting new fans. I’m just glad I got to see it on Facebook.

Overall, it was a great night for me, all the fans, the UFC and most importantly the sport of MMA as a whole. It had emotion, energy, magic and great martial arts. I can say once again that I am proud to be a diehard and long time fan of this wonderful sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment