Follow us on Twitter @Champion_Rounds

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

UFC on Fuel TV 4: Munoz vs. Weidman Predictions



Sam’s Picks
Main Card

Chris Weidman vs. Mark Munoz: I am very excited to watch these two middleweights prove their title contention. Chris Weidman, aside from Jon Jones, is one of the quickest rising stars that I have ever seen. It's only his 9th fight ever and it's a potential number one contender bout. The main problem with Weidman is his cardio, which was shown in his fight with Maia. Although he took the fight on one week notice, he slowed down dramatically in the later rounds. The one problem with trying to predict this fight is just how equally matched they are in all facets of the game. Munoz has the power advantage but Weidman has a distinctive technical advantage. Munoz was the better collegiate wrestler while Weidman has utilized his better in MMA. So far, Weidman has been far more impressive on his UFC career and Munoz has barely won a lot of the decisions that he has gone to. Sigh, this fight is tough but I see Weidman being the more technical standup fighter after they cancel each other out on the ground = Weidman by unanimous decision.

James Te Huna vs. Joey Beltran: Although I don't think that this fight is hard to predict the winner, it's that it's hard to predict how Beltran will do at 205 in the UFC. Beltran has never been known for his technical prowess, but for his toughness. Sorry, but toughness doesn't win you fights, technique does. Te Huna could very well be one of the most underrated fighters at 205. The guy has looked brutal in his last two fights and is known to be a finisher. His only loss in the UFC is to Alexander Gustaffson. Following that, he had two 1st round knockouts. I definitely see Te Huna winning, but I highly doubt he has the power of Lavar Johnson = Te Huna by unanimous decision.

Kenny Robertson vs. Aaron Simpson: Aaron Simpson is finally moving down to his natural weight class. I always found him very undersized at middleweight and this fight will show us where he can go at 170 pounds. Robertson will be a tough test. Kenny has been a good prospect at 170 for some time now, despite his TKO loss to Mike Pierce. Simpson will have a strength and experience advantage, leading me to believe he will take a close decision win = Simpson by split decision.

Francis Carmont vs. Karlos Vemola: Carmont is extremely talented and has a ton of potential, but Vemola looked fantastic in his middleweight debut against Massenzio. Carmont, on the other hand, did not look very good against his last opponent in Magnus Cedenblad, a fighter whom I would believe Vemola would easily defeat. Vemola has become a new fighter at 185 and he will continue to showcase it on Wednesday = Vemola by 3rd round TKO. My 2nd pick for FOTN!

TJ Dillashaw vs. Vaughan Lee: This is going to be much closer than people think. I actually see Vaughan submitting Dillashaw. Lee's win over Kid was thrilling and impressive. Not even one of the Gracie's could do that. His standup looked improved and his ground game very advanced. His recovery skills were also impressive after he was rocked by Yamamoto. Dillashaw is a dynamic wrestler. Lee is an all around mixed martial artist with particularly good BJJ. I see Dillashaw running right into a triangle in the 1st after going for a takedown. This will be Lee's coming out party = Lee by 1st round triangle choke. My pick for SOTN!

Rafael dos Anjos vs. Anthony Njokuani: Dos Anjos IS the most underrated lightweight in the UFC. He has a really good ground game and powerful standup. He showcased all of this in his quick performance against Kamal Shalorus in which he almost knocked him out with a head kick and then submitting him with a RNC. Njokuani has yet to impress me in the UFC. Dos Anjos should take this one pretty easily = dos Anjos by 2nd round TKO. My 1st pick for FOTN!

Prelims
Alex Caceres vs. Damacio Page = Page by 2nd round KO. My pick for KOOTN!
Chris Cariaso vs. Josh Ferguson = Cariaso by 1st round submission (arm). My 3rd pick for FOTN!
Andrew Craig vs. Rafael Natal = Natal by split decision.
Marcelo Guimaraes vs. Dan Stittgen = Guimaraes by 3rd round submission.
Raphael Assuncao vs. Issei Tamura = Assuncao by split decision.


Dave’s Picks
Main Card

Chris Weidman vs. Mark Munoz: This fight is going to be very close. I am a huge Munoz fan and have been watching him wrestle since his college days. I disagree with Sam and actually think Munoz has better technique in his striking and see him winning the standup. I think Weidman will have the advantage in wrestling. Weidman seems to have adapted his wrestling better to MMA than Munoz who was the superior collegiate wrestler. It will be tight but I’m going with my boy Munoz = Munoz by unanimous decision.

James Te Huna vs. Joey Beltran: Te Huna is the real deal. He has great striking; especially his power. Beltran is a decent fighter and dropping down to 205 was a good career move but Te Huna might be too big of a test. Guys in the past in boxing and MMA actually have worse chins in lower weight classes. Cardio actually plays a huge role in how well your chin lasts and Beltran might be a victim of this. Either way Te Huna is better = Te Huna by TKO in round 2. My Pick for KO of the Night!

Kenny Robertson vs. Aaron Simpson: Interesting fight here. If Simpson was younger and in his prime I would take him in a heartbeat but he is almost 38 years old. However, I think Simpson will be able to outwrestle Robertson and take a close decision. = Simpson by unanimous decision.

Francis Carmont vs. Karlos Vemola: Carmont is a very talented fighter and comes from an amazing camp but Vemola is a beast! I see Vemola being able to control the fight and eventually finishing it on the ground. = Vemola by TKO in round 2.

TJ Dillashaw vs. Vaughan Lee: I think Dillashaw has a bright future at 135 and I see him easily handling Lee. Dillashaw is a great wrestler and I see him controlling this fight and eventually finishing it later on. =Dillashaw by submission in round 2.

Rafael dos Anjos vs. Anthony Njokuani: What a great fight!!! But this one is simple in my opinion. Dos Anjos is one of the most underrated fighters alive; I have said this before; he is incredibly well rounded. I like Njokuani but his ground game is not all that great. I think dos Anjos will eventually take this to the ground and sub him quick. = dos Anjos by submissionin round 1. My Pick for Fight of the Night! My Pick for Submission of the Night!

Prelims
Alex Caceres vs. Damacio Page = Page by TKO in round 3.
Chris Cariaso vs. Josh Ferguson = Cariaso by submission in round 1.
Andrew Craig vs. Rafael Natal = Craig by split decision.
Marcelo Guimaraes vs. Dan Stittgen = Guimaraes by split decision.
Raphael Assuncao vs. Issei Tamura = Assuncao by unanimous decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment