Follow us on Twitter @Champion_Rounds

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

UFC 150: Henderson vs. Edgar 2 Predictions



Sam’s Picks

Main Card
Ben Henderson vs. Frankie Edgar: Oh, how I've been looking forward to this rematch. The first fight was an absolute war and I don't see this fight being any different. Their first encounter was as close as can be and I personally scored 3 rounds to 2 for the present day champ. Now that being said I thought that Henderson won, if you look at Frankie Edgar's record with rematches, it's 2-0-1 with each performance better than the last. Once you fight Edgar, he figures you out the next time around. Adaptability is one of the most important features in a champion and I see Edgar continuing his rematch rhythm and get his title back in another classic = Edgar by unanimous decision. My 1st pick for FOTN!

Donald Cerrone vs. Melvin Guillard: BARNBURNER ALERT: This fight will undoubtedly produce fireworks in the opening stages. Donald Cerrone needs to take this to the ground if he wants to win this easier. I think Cerrone will open up in the beginning, stalking him down and eventually clinching in for a takedown = Cerrone by 1st round submission (choke). My pick for SOTN and 2nd for FOTN!!

Jake Shields vs. Ed Herman:
I really, really want to pick Herman. Ever since his return to the UFC, he's looked like a title contender. Jake Shields has not. Shields is still technically an elite fighter though and Herman is right on the tip of that consideration. I simply cannot in my right mind though pick Herman over a guy like Shields = Shields by split decision.

Yushin Okami vs. Buddy Roberts: To say the least, this fight is bizarre. Sure, Roberts has a promising future and Okami is on a two fight losing streak, but let's face it, Roberts isn't going to win this fight. It will be a big learning experience for him and I see him becoming a top-15 or top-20 middleweight but now is too soon = Okami by unanimous decision.

Justin Lawrence vs. Max Holloway: This is the fight that I am looking forward to the most behind the main event. These two will certainly be title contenders in their futures and now is the time for them to prove that point. The major difference for me in this fight is the reach and technique. Holloway is much more technical and taller than Lawrence. Also, Holloway has very good fight IQ which is something that someone his age, and Justin Lawrence, lack. This fight should have some amazing standup = Holloway by unanimous decision. My 3rd pick for FOTN! (For Holloway interview click here)

Prelims
Dennis Bermudez vs. Tom Hayden = Bermudez by 2nd round TKO.

Jared Hamman vs. Michael Kuiper = Hamman by 3rd round TKO. My pick for KOOTN! (For Hamman interview click here)

Nik Lentz vs. Eiji Mitsuoka = Lentz by split decision.

Ken Stone vs. Erik Perez = Perez by 1st round submission.

Dustin Pague vs. Chico Camus = Camus by split decision.


Dave’s Picks

Main Card
Benson Henderson vs. Frankie Edgar: Frankie Edgar is the master of the rematch. He has had rematches with some of the sport’s best. He defeated BJ Penn in their rematch; which I saw live and Edgar won every round. Then Edgar defeated Gray Maynard in their third fight. He won both of those rematch contests even more decisively then the first fights. So, Henderson and Edgar’s first matchup was very close and I see Edgar repeating his usual rematch quality performance. It will be very close again but Edgar’s speed was a huge problem for Henderson and I think it still will be. It will be a close one but I am going with what I believe is the smartest choice. = Edgar by unanimous decision.

Donald Cerrone vs. Melvin Guillard: This fight will be awesome. Cerrone has the more technical striking and a much better ground game but Melvin hits harder than anyone at 155 pounds. I think Melvin’s only chance is to land a huge punch and KO or TKO Cerrone. But Cerrone has an amazing chin and I think he will be too much for Melvin. I think this will go to the ground at some point and Cerrone will finish it there. = Cerrone by submission in round 2. My Pick for Submission of the Night!

Jake Shields vs. Ed Herman: This will be an interesting fight and I think it will end up with who has the better cardio and heart. Neither have real KO power and both prefer the submission game. I think Shields is much more technical and higher level but sometimes can be very slow and lose out on good opportunities. Herman has a ton of heart and grit and decent cardio. This fight will be interesting but Shields has beaten better talent in the past and I think he can take this. = Shields by split decision.

Yushin Okami vs. Buddy Roberts: Roberts has not defeated or even faced a fighter even close to Okami’s level. Okami will be stronger with better grappling and striking. This might be ultra boring as well. The “potty break” fight I guess. = Okami by unanimous decision.

Justin Lawrence vs. Max Holloway: This fight is going to be amazing! Both of these guys are very young and talented athletes that are well rounded and exciting. Both of them also fight smarter than then their age would normally imply. Holloway showed in his last fight against Pat Schilling that his fight IQ and maturity is light years ahead of a lot of the young fighters at 145. His striking is scary good and it is just crazy that he is only 20 years old. Lawrence holds a lot of power and speed but is a little sloppier in his approach. Holloway should have the reach advantage as well. I see Holloway picking Lawrence apart and taking the decision. = Holloway by unanimous decision. My Pick for Fight of the Night! (For Holloway interview click here)

Prelims
Dennis Bermudez vs. Tom Hayden: Bermudez by split decision.

Jared Hamman vs. Michael Kuiper: Hamman by unanimous decision. (For Hamman interview click here)

Ken Stone vs. Erik Perez: Perez by split decision.

Nik Lentz vs. Eiji Mitsuoka: Lentz by unanimous decision.

Dustin Pague vs. Chico Camus: Pague by submission in round 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment