Follow us on Twitter @Champion_Rounds

Sunday, April 22, 2012

UFC 145 Recap from Rashad’s Hometown of Niagara Falls!

Dave’s Recap:

So I arrived very early to Buffalo Wild Wings in Niagara Falls, New York, Saturday night. I reserved a table of ten for myself and some close friends. It was only 7pm but you could feel the atmosphere shifting already. I was able to watch my beloved Yankees stomp the life out of the horrid Red Sox and then starting watching the prelims on FX at 8pm. People were already filing in and it was almost at capacity already. In every conversation you could hear the words “Rashad, Jones, UFC, win and lose”. Then my friends started to show up. My friend and occasional contributor Stephen DeRose, from the beautiful Ontario, Canada, showed up and said he could feel the tense vibe in the building as well.

Rashad was born and raised only minutes from where we were. Most fight nights have cheering and booing but nothing too emotional. But Saturday night’s atmosphere was electric and filled with emotion. Real emotion. Now I was rooting for Jones**. I would say the building was 75% for Rashad and 25% for Jones. Maybe a little more for Jones but around there. After each fight the noise was getting louder. More people bouncing in their chairs. My brother-in-law sat in Rashad’s exact chair in college and my other brother-in-law held the exact job only a few years after Rashad left it and moved to Michicagn. Rashad’s impact was felt in the community. So, when Rashad made his entrance the building shook. I was actually very impressed with the noise level. People were pumped. Then Jones came out and he received cheers but some boos too. So, the fight started and the whole building went dead silent. When Rashad landed that good head kick everyone went nuts but when Rashad was hurt badly by that sharp elbow everyone gasped. This fight was pulling everybody’s heartstrings. But in the end everyone was somewhat disappointed in Rashad. You could tell he pretty much gave up after the third round. He kept trying to do the same thing which was swing wild punches in from far away and decided not to change up his approach at all. I feel he did not change it up because he knew that what he was doing was safe and that he would most likely not be KOed. If Rashad really wanted that belt he should have rushed Jones like a crazy person, go for endless takedowns or something else to ensure he did all he could do to win. But he chose to coast to a decision loss because he didn’t want to end up unconscious in the end. I understand it but the people in Niagara Falls did not like it.

But the night came to a closer and everyone, rather silently, went home. The talk was mostly about Rory MacDonald and how amazing he was. But in the end everyone came away with more respect for Jones’ abilities. That’s the one thing everybody had in common.

But as for the rest of the card. Rory needs to fight top level competition. He should fight winner or loser or Koscheck vs. Hendricks. Or he could fight Martin Kampmann if Martin wins against Jake Ellenberger or Ellenberger if Jake loses to Kampmann. In my mind that’s what is next. No one else poses a threat.
Big Ben looked ok but will never reach near the top ever. Schaub’s chin is sadly not good at all. However, he is super athletic and pretty well rounded. If he can come up with a style and game plan that protects his chin at all costs then he could be elite but sadly due to only his lack of being able to handle heavyweight punches he won’t be able to achieve greatness.
Miguel Torres’ chin is also nearing its end. The dude has had an amazing career and if his chin was better I could see him challenging for the title but that just doesn’t look possible anymore. Michael McDonald has endless potential. Last night proved to me that he is only a few years away from being either champ or #2 for years to come. The kid is only 21….are you kidding me?!! Very exciting.
And yet another great fighter with a chin issue. I love Mark Hominick. Every time I met him the guy was a complete gentleman. He put on one of the best fights I have ever seen and proved he has the ebst ehart in the sport right in front of me at UFC 129 against Jose Aldo. Then I mourned for him when he lost his best friend in Shawn Tompkins. And sadly saw him lose in 6.6 seconds to Jung. And now this loss against Yagin. It’s truly gut wrenching. It’s just so sad. I feel for him so much. I hope he realizes that his chin just is not up to handling the big dogs anymore and he can either fight smaller guys or just be a trainer. He has nothing left to prove.
Bocek looked like a stud against Alessio. That fight went exactly how I said it would. Bocek is one of the top 5 mst underrated fighters in the UFC. He looks just like a normal person, he is quiet and reserved and his striking isn’t flashy. But his ground game is topnotch. I could see him trying to fight Mac Danzig again.
Travis Brown looked great and in my mind makes a case that he could be close to upper echelon status. Matt Brown looked adequate and is a tough match for anyone with he heart and grit. But I promise you that this loss was great for Stephen Thompson and he will use this to become even better. I still see him being a possible title challenger one day.

Over all great night of fights. I all hoped you enjoyed them as much as I did. Thanks for reading guys!

**Side Note:  I personally do not dislike Rashad but I am also not really a fan. I appreciate his abilities and how amazing he is at fighting but I never made that connection with him that would make me a big fan. But I am a huge Jones fan. I am originally from outside Rochester, NY. I knew guys who knew him when he first started training and fighting in smaller promotions and they all talked about how amazing he is at fighting but also how they hoped he succeeded “because he is such a nice kid”. I have met Jon Jones 3 times and he was an incredibly sweet and genuine person. He is the same guy you see in the Primetime series or during interviews. He is a nice 24 year old kid who is now the best in the world at what he does. That is crazy and probably difficult to comprehend. People who say he is cocky must sit back and think about that. He is only 24. When Anderson Silva was his age he was only 2-1 in MMA. Jones has almost done what he has already! By the time Jones is Silva’s age (37) think of what he might have accomplished. It’s crazy but remember All athletes that go through college and apply to their sports pro draft take courses and seminars on how to talk to press and handle the spotlight. And they have a coach who has walked the same road and can give advice but none of this was the case for Jon Jones. He has handled his crazy life very well in my eyes. I am a huge Bones fan and look forward to his next 10-15 years of kicking butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment